Duhamel's ex-girlfriend pleads guilty

Duhamel's ex-girlfriend pleads guilty

Saturday, 22 September 2012

Bianca Rojas-Latraverse yesterday admitted her involvement in the home invasion and robbery of former World Series of Poker Main Event winner Jonathan Duhamel. The 2010 World Champion was severely beaten in the incident late last year which saw robbers make off with over $100,000 in cash and his WSOP bracelet.

Duhamel's former girlfriend pleaded guilty to charges of conspiracy, theft and kidnapping in a Quebec court.

“She certainly participated in the idea of going to rob Jonathan Duhamel — that’s clear,” said Crown prosecutor Nancy Delorme. “She didn’t actually enter into Mr. Duhamel’s home but in the preparation, in the conception, her role is clear and that’s why she admitted her guilt today.”

The 21-year-old, who has already spent nine months in custody will have to wait until 19 December for sentencing. Her lawyer will be looking for a compassionate sentence though according to the Canadian Press.

“My client is repentant,” said defence lawyer defence lawyer, Sarah Desabrais “She did this (pleaded guilty) for the right reasons... It’s really about clearing her conscience and moving on to other things, putting this behind her as quickly as possible and starting anew. At 21 years old, she’s still young.”

Three of Rojas-Latraverse's alleged accomplices are yet to stand trial. A fourth man, who is accused of driving the getaway car was arrested and charged for the first time yesterday.

Keep up to date with all the news from the poker world by following us on Twitter and Facebook.

Tags: Jonathan Duhamel, law