Brits Shine but Just Miss Out on SCOOP Success
Tuesday, 20 May 2014
Despite not clinching any of the three SCOOP Main Event titles on the line last night, the evening's action was certainly a success for British poker. Indeed, throughout the final session of this year's SCOOP a number of Brits found themselves in with a shot at the top prize, including Zimnan Ziyard, Phill McAllister and Peter Akery.
First to come agonisingly close to a major online title was Ziyard in Event #44-M. Having made his way past more than 4,000 grinders the live circuit regular managed to skip past a selection of European foes before facing off against 'LexaLucky666' for the title.
Unfortunately, by the time the heads-up match was under it was virtually over thanks to the 5:1 chip lead held by 'LexaLucky666'. Despite a spirited effort from Ziyard he could only last five hands before his pocket sevens ran into his opponent's pocket nines.
With that 'LexaLucky666' lifted his first SCOOP trophy and banked $635,379 whilst Ziyard had to cheer himself up with a hefty $473,499 consolation prize.
In the $10,300 Main Event a tough crowd on Day 2 held the promise of an entertaining final table and, while the likes of Phil Ivey or Mike McDonald missed out on the action, some financial discussions certainly made things interesting.
As expected, once the big money payouts moved closer the negotiations began to flow but one player wasn't keen to talk numbers with six players left.
Ben Wilinofsky was arguably the most accomplished player at the final table, but it seems his hubris got in the way of his better judgement after he proclaimed that his "balls" were "too big" to make a deal.
In a cruel twist of fate he soon regretted that decision as he was bounced to the rail in sixth place when his Ac 9c wasn't able to overcome Phill McAllister's Ah Jc. Next to fall was McAllister before Martin Jacobson followed suit in fourth.
With three players left an ICM deal was struck before the UK's 'Better C4ll' and Peter Akery were ousted by EPT10 Prague High Roller champion, Ivan "vandir4rek" Soshnikov, claimed the title and $1,048,000.
SCOOP 44-H: $10,300 Main Event Final Result:
1. Ivan "vandir4rek" Soshnikov (Russia) - $1,048,000.00*
2. Peter "Se7enTr3y" Akery (United Kingdom) - $860,000.00*
3. Better C4ll (United Kingdom) - $890.820.00*
4. Martin "M.nosbocaJ" Jacobson (United Kingdom) - $499,320.00
5. Phill "Grindation" McAllister (United Kingdom) - $350,838.00
6. Ben "NeverScaredB" Wilinofsky (Canada) - $279,225.00
7. VVVILELAAA (Brazil) - $213,525.00
8. Santiago "sanpri" Nadal (Mexico) - $147,825.00
9. sat1337en (Sweden) - $98,555.00
*Denotes a deal
SCOOP-44-M: $1,050 Main Event Final Result:
1. LexaLucky666 (Belarus) - $635,379.00
2. Zimnan 'Zimmy86' Ziyard - $473,499.00
3. marek_heinz (Czech Republic) - $333,877.50
4. seonkett1 (Germany) - $232,702.50
5. Four-7-Kevin (United Kingdom) - $171,997.50
6. €urop€an (Finland) - $131,527.50
7. seonkett1 (Germany) - $91,057.50
8. Andr the gun (Lithuania) - $50,587.50
9. 1337Gambl0r (Austria) - $32,376.00
SCOOP 44-L: $109 Main Event Final Result:
1. Ari "BodogAri" Engel - $187,669.27*
2. jeppinho (Sweden) - $136,418.37*
3. MAKKAPAKK (United Kingdom) - $172,207.27*
4. MoscowNo1 (Russia) - $117,442.65*
5. camikater (Germany) - $75,407.50
6. vlaviusz (Romania) - $53,862.50
7. sksjohny (Czech Republic) - $32,317.50
8. capinhabr (Brazil) - $19,390.50
9. Didcot4 (United Kingdom) - $12,927.00
*Denotes a deal