Tuesday, 17 December 2013
The proposed $30 billion EuroVegas casino development which was due to built in the outskirts of Madrid has been scrapped.
US casino groups Las Vegas Sands confirmed the news on Friday saying that it was no longer in the best interests of its shareholders. "We have reiterated time and again that our internal development process would dictate the outcome of a proposed development in Spain,” said Las Vegas Sands Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Sheldon G. Adelson. “That process has been extremely thorough and while the government and many others have worked diligently on this effort, we do not see a path in which the criteria needed to move forward with this large-scale development can be reached. As a result we will no longer be pursuing this opportunity.” Initial plans submitted in August included provisions for six casinos and 12 hotels as well as a host of shops and theatres as well as parking spaces for up to 40,000 cars. Despite the prospect of a boost in tourism and 250,000 new jobs the development ran into stiff opposition from religious and political groups. Anti-tobacco campaigners also opposed the plans after Adelson called for the resort to be exempt from no smoking laws. According to the Spanish government, negotiations finally ground to halt after Sands demanded legal and financial guarantees that ran contrary to Spanish and European Union law. Deputy Prime Minister Soraya Saenz de Santamaria said, "New conditions were put forward concerning taxes and legal protection ... which could not be taken on board by the administrations involved." Sands will now be turning its attention towards the Asian market. “Developing integrated resorts in Europe has been a vision of mine for years, but there is a time and place for everything and right now our focus is on encouraging Asian countries, like Japan and Korea, to dramatically enhance their tourism offering through the development of integrated resorts there," Adelson added.
The sixth annual edition of Grosvenor Casinos’ Goliath tournament series may have begun last week but players are being advised that there is still time to qualify for seats into its prestigious £120 buy-in main event.
Land-based and online gaming products innovator Scientific Games Corporation is set to run its second annual Shuffle Master Classic event next month offering one lucky poker player the chance to walk away with $100,000 in cash.
Land-based casino operator Estoril Sol has been awarded the first online gaming license for Portugal and has teamed up with platform provider Gaming1 to launch the new EstorilSolCasinos.pt domain.
With 5,000 expected entries, £250,000 guaranteed in prizes and only £120 to play, its no wonder Coventry is the place to be between July 30 and August 7.
Vamshi Vandanapu wins in Coventry.
Multitude of main event qualifiers.
Top seven to share $250,000 prize pool.
EstorilSolCasinos.pt goes live.
Poker’s unassuming killer steps back into the limelight.
Meet one of UK poker's rising stars.
We talk to WSOP bracelet winner.
By Paul Oresteen.
Just keep smiling...
By Adam Slutsky
Pushing the envelope for a new poker generation.
Jeff KImber on fish.
So says Dara O'Kearney.
Dara O'Kearney looks at game thoery.
Dara O'K on bounty tournaments.
Rob Yong calls for competition.
A critical eye on the poker world.
Nick Wealthall on unconscious decision making.
Structure changes don't suit recreationals.
Features | Strategy | Interviews | Reviews | News | Profiles | Pages | British Poker Awards
© 2015 BluffEurope.com